Workshops and Classes
Shining Studio Pottery 2020
come and play with clay with us!
Do you like to work with your hands and be creative?
Come on over and learn about the wonders of clay!
Explore some cool techniques with this ancient art form...
hand building your projects with pinch pots, coils, slabs and wheel throwing too.
You'll be welcomed into a safe, fun, learning environment and
led through your project step by step by a professional potter.
Your work will be glazed and fired and ready to be taken home about two to three weeks after your last class.
you're in good hands
All classes are taught by qualified artist and instructor Kelly Proulx,
bringing you more than twenty five years of experience working with clay and teaching.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree, majoring in Ceramics. Graduate of Alberta University of the Arts (formerly known as Alberta College of Art and Design)
- Diploma in Visual Arts, majoring in Ceramics. Alberta University of the Arts
- Certification of Completion from the Design Career Centre Employment Program. Alberta University of the Arts
what we offer at
Shining Studio Pottery
Summer Classes 2020
*Who: Anyone who loves being creative, 1 to 2 students per class, taught by a qualified, professional and experienced Potter
*What: Introductory hand building and/or wheel throwing classes, make and glaze some fun pottery projects, work will be kiln fired when dry and ready for pick up two to three weeks after last day of class
*Where: Studio location, separate tables, separate tools and equipment provided, areas sanitized between classes, no masks required
*When: Classes run on a weekly basis, Monday to Friday, 5 consecutive days, 1 hour classes each day
*Why: Try something new and have some fun, art is therapy!
$250 per person, 50% non-refundable deposit ($125) required to book your spot, balance to be paid first day of class, etransfers to email@example.com accepted
these classes are also available...
1. One time 2 hour Group Workshops, you gather the group (minimim of 2 people)
2. Four week Hand Building and Wheel Throwing classes
**2020 workshops and classes are now open for registration
please note: modifications may be made on class size, please contact us for current information
good things to know
- All abilities welcome, no prior experience necessary!
- Classes designed at an introductory level, modifications will happily be made to accommodate the more experienced clay connoisseur.
- Many project ideas to choose from (check out some examples at the bottom of this page).
- Small Class sizes ensure plenty of one-on-one instruction.
- All inclusive pricing includes use of tools, equipment, clay, glazes and firing. No hidden or additional fees, yippee!
- All finished projects will be glaze fired and ready for pick up within two to three weeks after completion of class.
- A non-refundable 50% deposit is required to reserve your spot, to be made at the time of booking
- The remaining balance is to be paid in full before or on the first class
- We accept E-transfers and Cash
- If you need to cancel your session please allow 48 hours advance notice via email.
- There is a $25 fee to reschedule missed classes.
we care about you and your projects
- Your satisfaction is important us! Everyone is welcome at Shining Studio Pottery and will be treated with respect and kindness. Each person will be lead through the steps of their project with patience and detailed professional instruction.
- Your finished work matters to us! We know you will enjoy the process of creating something lasting out of clay with your own hands to bring home and enjoy. We take great care in the drying, handling and firing of each project. We do our best to ensure everyone is guided in the proper building and construction of every piece to ensure a great finished project.
- Please note however, some things are out of our control. Due to the very nature of clay, which shrinks and contracts during drying and firing time in the kiln sometimes warping and cracking may occur. Uneven glaze application can also sometimes have unexpected results. Rest assured though, if you follow directions well and put in the effort and attention to detail your work will most likely be fabulous!
what we offer, it's all in the details
1. One time 2 hour Group Workshops, you gather the group (minimum 2 people)
This is a great opportunity for groups of friends and family to experience creative time together while working with clay in a comfortable, relaxed environment. Date nights and Team Building exercises for businesses are also available.
Come out and enjoy some time together, learn a new skill and make something special.
All projects will be glazed in class using a special slip-glaze and fired in our kiln ready for pick-up within two to three weeks of class.
Some project options for 2 or more people...
The Platter and the Dish
Learn how to make your own serving platter and small dish in this comprehensive 2 hour workshop.
Step by step instruction with lots of room for personal expression. And as always, all inclusive pricing, glazes and kiln firings included.
Space is limited, book early to reserve your spot
Create two beautiful dishes using natural objects. Learn how to impress leaves, pine cones and branches in clay to produce beautiful designs and texture in this 2 hour workshop.
Materials provided and all inclusive pricing.
Space is limited, book early to reserve your spot.
Length: 2 hour session
*studio: small group classes
1165 Meadow Brook Dr. SE Airdrie
Cost: 2-4/5 people $60/person
*shop: larger group classes
inside Truecraft Furniture Finishing
306 - 151 East Lake Blvd. NE Airdire
located in the 151 East Lake Business Park
Cost: 6-12 people $55/person
Cost includes: Instruction, clay, glazes, use of tools and kiln firings
Concepts covered: Properties and stages of clay, creating and glazing your own project through hand-building using one or more of the following methods: pinch pots, coils or slabs.
2. Four week Hand Building and Wheel Throwing Classes
Do you love working with clay and are interested in learning more? In these classes you will develop your skills and expand your creative abilities while making awesome projects over a longer period of time. These classes involve hand building and wheel throwing techniques. In these classes you will learn about the history of ceramic objects, where clay comes from, what it's made of and the making, drying, glazing and firing process.
*Classes run on four consecutive weeks
Times are to be determined
*studio: small group (max. 4 people) classes
1165 Meadowbrook Dr. SE Airdrie
Length: four sessions over four weeks, 1.5 hours per class
Cost Includes: Instruction, clay, glazes, use of tools and firings
Concepts covered: Properties and stages of clay, creating and glazing your own projects. Various skills will be learned and developed through different techniques including hand building methods such as pinch pots, coil and slab as well as an introduction to the potter's wheel.
*2020 workshops and classes are now open for registration
*Please note that students under the age of 18 need to be accompanied by an adult or guardian for the duration of the classes.
Posted on our Facebook page throughout the year and the Events Calendar below.
Questions are always welcome, go to our Contact + Register page and send Kelly an email
hand building project samples and student work
- 3-D Houses, Pinch Pot Creatures, Monsters, Figures
- Masks, Mugs, Tiles
- Name Tiles, Christmas Ornaments, Coil Pots
- Press Mold Bowls, Small Medallions, Cupcake Containers, Press Mold Turtles, Small Trays